First match reports of our first away and home game in the
Northern Premier League N/West 2019-2020



Marine FC vs Dunston FC                  
Northern Premier N/West
Saturday 17th August 2019.
Attendance 357

Dunston FC earned a credible 1-1 draw away to Marine FC in their maiden game as a step 4 club. Trailing going into half time to a Niall Cummins goal, the visitors levelled on 69 minutes through debutant Cedwyn Scott, the youngster having recently joined the club from Dundee FC. On the balance of play, a draw was a fair result for both sides. Marine FC are celebrating their 125th year anniversary and major ground improvements have been conducted at The Marine Travel Arena.

This is the first time in Marine FC ’ s long history that they have played at this level, having suffered relegation last season by goal difference.

Marine FC are seen by many as one of the favourites for promotion, as are Dunston FC. Dunston FC Manager Chris Swailes handed a debut to former Sunderland AFC and England Under 17 International Dan Wright, who has recently signed for the club having spent last season at South Shields.

Marine FC kicked off as a brief shower struck right on kick off, with some of the impressive Dunston support taking refuge under their flag on the open terrace behind the goal. Dunston FC had the first chance of the game on 3 minutes, Mark Fitzpatrick putting his effort narrowly wide from a superb delivery by Liam Marrs, who had been picked out in a wide position by Dan Wright. The visitors looked the better side in the opening 10 minutes with the back three of Dan Capewell, Andrew Grant-Soulsby and Craig Scott winning all of their aerial battles against an impressive Marine forward line. Marine’ s first effort of the game came on 13 minutes, forcing a series of corners Steven Irwin flashed a headed effort shy of the near post. Former Liverpool player Craig Lindfield glimpsed an effort narrowly wide on 19 minutes having got in behind the Dunston back three.

Last seasons top scorer Mark Fitzpatrick was getting into good positions, an excellent cross from Dan Halliday forced a corner as Fitzpatrick was just unable to connect. Dunston continued to battle and apply pressure with Fitzpatrick as the main threat up top with his strength and hold up play. However despite Dunston's endeavours, it was the hosts who took the lead. A slip from Dan Halliday allowed Marine to cross to Niall Cummins, the forward seized the opportunity with a diving header past Karl Dryden Marine were looking to get the ball out wide, capitalising on the space down the channels. To their credit, having gone a goal down, the visitors did not panic as Dunston looked to control the tempo of the game.

Luke Page in the middle of the park was looking to get on the ball and carve out chances whilst Michael Pearson was looking to hurry and force Marine to make mistakes. Before the interval Karl Dryden prevented Marine from extending their lead with a fine save from Marine ’s Joshua Solomon-Davies. Craig Lindfield curled a long range effort narrowly over for Marine after the re-start, whilst Liam Brooks dragged his effort wide of the post as strike partner Mark Fitzpatrick had done well to dummy his marker and create the opportunity. Craig Lindfield cut out a cross field pass to unleash a screamer of a shot which went just wide of Dunston’ s goal. Chris Swailes decided on a double substitution, replacing Dan Wright and Liam Brooks with Callum Little and Cedwyn Scott. Cedwyn Scott was to have an instantaneous impact upon the game, reacting quickly to a throw in he saw his goal bound half volley superbly blocked by a Marine defender.

Dunston kept up pressure and the debutant got off the mark on 69 minutes. From a corner the youngster bravely threw himself at the back post under a m ê lé e of flying boots and guided his header into the net to give Dunston a deserved equaliser. However the youngster was forced from the field of play having sustained a facial injury and was replaced by Scott Heslop.

The last twenty minutes of the game were a physical encounter as both sides pushed for a winner. Morgan Bacon prevented Fitzpatrick from getting off the mark, saving from a header he reacted quickly to stretch and prevent any follow up. As he had done so many times before last season, Dunston keeper Karl Dryden was to ensure the visitors got something from the game, tipping over a dangerous effort from Marine substitute Brett Mblanda and racing out of his goal to clear the ball as Rumenid Barai went racing through on goal. On the balance of play both sides deserved a point.

A draw was a fair result. It ’ s hard to call how both sides will fair throughout the season, the next few games will give a better idea of the quality in this league. Dunston gave a very good account of themselves against a side viewed by many as one of the top sides in the division.

There is still a sense that Dunston have a lot more to give, and further into the season today’s result could well be seen as an important one.

Final score: Marine FC - 1 (Cummins 13 ’) Dunston FC - 1 (Cedwyn Scott 69’)

Marine FC : Bacon, Solomon-Davies, Ellison, Strickland, Miley, Lycett, Lindfield (Mbalanda), Irwin, Cummins, Antoine (Devine)Barrigan (Barai). Subs not used: Devine, Mendes.

Dunston FC.. Dryden, Marrs, Halliday (C), Wright (Little), Grant-Soulsby, Capewell, Craig Scott, Pearson, Fitzpatrick, Page, Brooks (Cedwyn Scott (Heslop). Subs not used: Lawrence, Lowther.

Dunston UTS FC Supporters Club Man of the match award: Dan Capewell.




Dunston FC v Ossett United
Northern Premier N/West

Tuesday 20th August 2019.
Attendance 403

Dunston FC earned all three points against a very good Ossett United side in a hard earned 1-0 victory at The UTS Stadium on Tuesday night in front of a solid crowd of 403. An exceptional team performance was capped by a wonderful goal from in from Luke Page.

Scott Heslop replaced Dan Wright as Chris Swailes kept with the same formation of 3-5-2 which had been employed to good effect away to Marine last Saturday. Dunston ’ s first chance of the game fell to Heslop, a well timed tackle from Craig Scott on Ossett Utd winger Andrew Ijowole saw the defender pick out the striker who just dragged his shot narrowly wide. The step up in the quality of the opponents was evident. Ossett Utd were looking to close Dunston down quickly and harass the home side at every opportunity.

Liam Brooks had a great chance to put the hosts ahead on 10 minutes, Luke Page sprang a counter attack and his pass was cushioned by the head of Scott Heslop into the path of Mark Fitzpatrick, his shot was blocked and Liam Brooks followed up, however his half volley failed to hit the target. The game had seen plenty of aerial challenges and had been played at a rapid pace, Ossett Utd looking to spring the ball over the top to their on running forwards had been met by an indomitable Dunston defence.

Both sides were evenly matched in the opening 30 minutes. When Dunston kept the ball on the deck with their close and patient passing game, Ossett Utd seemed to be less comfortable. However breaking down the Ossett Utd back line was proving to be an obstacle as the visitors looked to be a well organised defensive unit. The game had seen few clear cut chances, Ossett had their best chance of the game with a close range effort which was seemingly destined for the bottom corner only for Dunston keeper Karl Dryden to impressively stretch down low and palm away the ball A loose pass at the back from Dan Capewell could ’ ve resulted in calamity, as Ijowole picked up the stray ball before curling his effort just shy of the top corner. The winger was to find himself in the referees book moments later for a late and rash challenge, possibly bore from the frustration of having been well marshalled by Craig Scott and Dan Halliday throughout the first half. Dunston had good chances to take the lead going into the break, Craig Scott lofted an excellent ball into the 6 yd box, Heslop went up to challenge as Ossett Utd keeper Brett Souter could only punch the ball away, the ball fell to Michael Pearson on the edge of the box, his rising effort just going over the crossbar.

A Liam Marrs cross picked out Heslop at the back post, his headed effort just wide. Souter was alert to palm away a Mark Fitzpatrick effort just before the break as the two sides went into half time level in what had been an even, engrossing and well fought first half. HT 0-0 After the break Heslop went close with an effort just wide of the post having created the effort himself as Ossett struggled to clear their lines. Luke Page saw his volley go agonisingly wide following a corner as Dunston applied pressure in the opening stages of the second half. Dunston ’ s pressure eventually paid off on 57 minutes; Luke Page went on a marauding run through the middle, unchallenged he played a perfectly weighted pass out wide to Liam Brooks who played a first time ball across the box to find Pages ’ continued run. The midfielder controlled and drilled his effort into the bottom corner to give the home side the lead. Looking to get back into the game Ossett Utd winger Ijowole fired an effort at goal, Dryden easily collecting the ball.

The Dunston keeper needed to be alert moments later to prevent an overhead kick from finding the back of the net. Dan Halliday was to clear a dangerous phase of passing around the Dunston box for a corner as their opponents pushed for an equaliser. Dunston were back in numbers and defending well as a team to prevent Ossett United getting back into the game. Grant- Soulsby, Scott and Capwell forming a impregnable back line. The final stages of the encounter were a fine display of grit and determination from the home side.

Ossett had good chances to draw level with substitute Nicolas Guest flashing an effort just wide of the post and mis-hitting a curling effort wide of the goal. Mark Fitzpatrick saw his well struck shot palmed away by Souter, Luke Page displaying great technique to turn his marker and play the ball down the line to the forward. Ossett pushed as many up as they could in search of the equaliser, Dunston as a defence were in no mood to share points. Right at the end substitute Callum Smith, marked by two Ossett United players, twisted and turned to send in a wonderful cross to Dan Wright, his headed effort going just wide of the upright.

Full time: Dunston FC - 1 (Luke Page 57 ’ ) Ossett United - 0

In a game of full on entertainment, Dunston FC just had the edge over their opponents. The work rate to a man was outstanding. The step up in the quality of this seasons opponents, based on our last two games is evident. Ossett Utd were a well organised side and Dunston had to work hard in all departments to take maximum points.

Dunston UTS FC Supporters Club Man of the Match: Luke Page.

Dunston FC team: Dryden, Marrs, Halliday (C), Pearson, Grant-Soulsby (Wright) Capewell, Craig Scott, Page, Fitzpatrick, Heslop, Brooks (Smith) Subs not used: Lowther, Little, Lawrence.